Proposal-Presentation Reflection

Project proposal reflection

The project of trying to solve a world problem with a technological innovation or solution that had yet to be implemented as one of the most ambitious and demanding projects I have done to date. I’ve had experience before with this sort of thing when I would design buildings in my high school architecture courses, but there was always a sense of safety there. This being a college course, I felt that realism and practicality would be a must. The brainstorming process was easy for me, I would think up something out of sci-fi to solve an everyday problem, and my group just went with it. Although I had bad experiences with groups before, this time it was different, I had the pleasure of working with people who were on a similar path and wanted to give it there all. I have a tendency of overthinking minute details, and that is why I would be my group’s worst enemy from time to time. Had things turned out different, we might have proposed another road-based idea.

The concept of air filtration drones was one that we felt could improve the world. The idea was already out there, but other than concept art, it had never taken off. It’s easy to create a world or a situation around a fictional product, it’s another to bring it into a world with its own problems and rules. Trying to expand on this was certainly a challenge. But I like a challenge, and there’s something fascinating about it. It makes me feel like an engineer, to bring something like this to life. Most of the estimates for materials and expenses related to the drone had to be proportional. Consumer level drones, would not have been capable of fulfilling the tasks and military-style UAV’s while capable of doing so, were too expensive to take at their current price. This was arguably one of the most difficult aspects of our budget. Forming an abstract helped everyone with their own individual areas of work.

As far of group dynamics go, I became the defacto voice of the group, but I wasn’t the leader (in my eyes anyway). I relied on my strengths, to put in what I could. I saw myself as more of an observer, if there was something missing or if something didn’t sound right, I would put in my input. I believe my position of Head of design, reflects this. When it comes to presentations, I normally take it like a fish takes to water, and although I speak on a regular basis I knew I couldn’t and shouldn’t have been done by an individual. I prepared to say everything I knew about my topic, so when it came time talk about the driving force of our proposal the air filter drones, I would know what to say. When presentation day came, we were hoping to be first, we went last, and we had to leave an impression. We were all nervous, but when it came to questions, I spoke and answered well, but I was not prepared for the last question. It concerned an error in our group’s calculation of costs. It occurred because of a lack of communication between the partners in charge of finance and business/ human resources. As looked at my group mates, we knew we couldn’t identify the issue at the time and we needed an explanation or answer. However, I believe I had given the best answer based on the timing. In the end, I believe that this was a valuable experience going forward, I don’t have to be concerned over my group mates, because they are capable. Mistakes happen, and we just have to watch out for them.